No amount of capturable data can tell you when someone is unsatisfied with a situation and willing to pay good money to solve it. There can be digital clues left here and there but there is no tracking mechanism for the human psyche. Despite all the efforts attempting to control your behavior and mine, we still act on our own volition.
Whatever you’re selling, you think people need it or will be better off having it. The problem is they are doing fine without it, until they aren’t! This is why regular newsletter-style updates that include valuable, problem-solving information should continually be placed in front of your customers and prospects.
As long as you keep including interesting tidbits and valuable content, your audience will welcome getting your regular updates. When they need something, and your newsletter hits them with an expert recommendation that’s relevant, it’s as if they just got a referral to your business. Something like, “Oh, I should just call these guys, now that I’m thinking about it!”
Newsletters Fill the Gaps
Over the last ten years, our email newsletter has generated over 30% of our clientele. It’s almost predictable. Not every newsletter generates new business but about 1 out of every 4 or 5 does, and this result has been consistent over the years. It works like this:
- Be curious! Get really interested in conversations with all of your business associates about what’s going on in their companies and industries.
- Attend business events, have conversations and make mental notes. Then capture the notes!
- Build themes and topics around your industry’s problem-solving opportunities. Think in the terms of the expert that you are.
- Write articles and make videos that address specific market needs and publish them on a regular basis – monthly or more often when possible.
- Publish an email newsletter with front-loaded, value-based summary information about your article and link to it.
- Proactively contact audience members who show repeated interest though your analytics. Suggest one-on-one networking meetings.
Notice the simplicity and logic of this B2B direct marketing approach. Add it to your marketing mix, especially if email is missing or spotty. With regard to items 1 – 6, they can all be outsourced effectively. We welcome questions about these services.
Regularity is Perfect Timing
Most businesses need to stay connected with their customers and associates to remain relevant in their market. Doing so on a regular basis is the key and email is one of the best ways.
Beyond this simple approach, the power and sophistication of marketing automation can bring your integrated digital campaigns to new levels. Some companies need it. Others don’t. It really depends on how the pipeline is best filled and that can be different for every organization.
One thing is certain. When prospects identify you as the resource for them and reach out to engage, you’ve struck gold! New business that’s generated from your strategic marketing efforts feels really good, fits well and lasts long.